Weekly Essential

Friday, October 16, 2015

Christmas 2014, Birthday and New Year's 2015

This was such a difficult time, but we were so blessed with so much support. We were on  a pretty good schedule which was important to help Patrick. Therapy three times a day took up a lot of time and there was not time for much else. We had to eat and Patrick takes a nap everyday.

It was exciting and fun getting ready for Christmas and sharing that with Patrick for the first time. It was his first Christmas. We did keep the lights and decorations on the low down so it wouldn't be to over stimulating for Patrick.

Our friend Greg helped us get a Christmas tree and helped me put it up. After we got it all decorated, we were down stairs and heard a huge thump as though something had fallen. It was the Christmas tree and the cat sitting right next to it. We got it all cleaned up and I tied the tree so it wouldn't fall again.


We were blessed with two secret Santa's and it was so much fun. One Santa brought us a gift every night for 12 nights, and boy they were good. I never caught them. However, a few nights before Christmas I was letting the dog out around 10pm and opened the door and there was someone in a white coat bent down so all I saw was there back and coat and a big box, I said "Oh I am sorry" and shut my door. My dog Alex was looking at me like, why didn't you let me out. So I let whoever I just scared at the door finish up, I took the dog downstairs and out back and waited a while.

When I went back up stairs, I checked the door and there was no big box. There was a Christmas tree dish with candy from the Secret Santa. Then I heard my phone beep, so I brought in the dish, closed the door and checked my phone. It was from secret Santa asking me to check my door. I text back, I already did and thank you so much. They said, no check it again, that was a different secret Santa. There was a huge big box with smoked Turkey inside, I could barely get it in the house, cookies and cash! Wow! I was shocked and amazed. I was so blessed and grateful. The support we have had from friends and neighbors has truly been amazing.

I still have no idea who the secret Santa's were, but were very blessed. The next day, we had plumbing problems so I ended up using the cash to fix the plumbing, but was so extremely blessed to have the cash to fix the problem. So Thank you Secret Santa!!! Who ever you are, thank you!

Christmas was amazing and we had a wonderful day. It was a little overwhelming for Patrick. I never had any idea how stimulating life is, until we have had to live in a low stimulation environment.

We have a sign on our front door that says, "DO NOT DISTURB Low stimulation environment, please call to make an appointment. I can't tell you how many people can't read. They knock, the dog barks and poor Patrick's brain is like what is going on, what is all that noise. Who is here? Or really, I have no idea what was going on in Patrick's brain, but the look on his face was frighting.

We made it through Christmas, next was Patrick's birthday. This was a lot for Patrick. After Christmas, we have our sons birthday, then Patrick's, then New Years! Everything was on the low down this year. It was okay and we had a great time and most important, time together.


New Years Eve was next and we have an annual New Years Eve get together with a few friends, that have come over for the past 6 years. We are lame, but we have fun. It is an early evening with good food to eat, then after we eat we do our color and number readings for the year, yes even the guys do it. Then at 8pm we do the countdown and then everyone goes home before 9pm. We have a great time and it is quick and everyone get's home safe and we all have a great happy New Years! It was the first time having people over and it was great. All though not everyone came this year, we had a great time. I think that it is hard on a lot of people what has happened to Patrick.

New Years Day! Happy 2015, today Patrick woke up and had his first memory recall. He came out of the bedroom and said to me I remember something. He remembered being with his mom at the grocery store in his home town when he was little. We were so excited and so happy! His memory is coming back. I know it is just one memory but it is something.

It gave us hope and belief to keep positive and keep believing he will get better.

It was a great start to the new year!


Kollette


No comments:

Post a Comment