Weekly Essential

Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Journal Entry December 8, 2014 and Where Patrick was at

Monday today we had speech therapy and I got up early and swam. His speech therapist said he was doing great. If Patrick cannot say what he wanted to say, he is describing it. Cheeseburger, what a plate was. A round, flat with edges. I never knew it was so hard and so bad until after he got out of rehab. I was never at the hospital early enough to see him do speech therapy.


It was hard to realize that he didn't know what things were visually, a simple thing like a giraffe.
Yes, we can do this. Every time I feel alone I remind myself that we are in this together. I am not alone unless I make myself lonely and believe me I have those moments.

I won't let that take up my whole day, that would be exhausting! When ever I feel down I cry, feel the emotion and then thank God for not taking him from me. How blessed we are. I know he will have a full recovery. I allow myself to get down scared, full of fear – where is that going to get me? I have to rise above and keep a positive attitude and have faith and believe and visualize and be grateful as if he has fully recovered.



I tell my kids to visualize daddy walking through the door as if nothing has changed and keep sending him love. I let fear in once in a while, we are human and it is OK to feel emotions but we also have to rise above with strength, find love and keep going. This is so hard but I love him so much!   

One of the ICU nurse said she would not have done what I did for Patrick, for her husband! What?  I would send love and still do everyday and send every cell in his body love and I surround him with the healing light of the divine, God and the angels. I am not alone, I ask for help and pray and remember to remember the love. Patrick loves me he always has and I know he wouldn't leave me. I just kept sending him love and still do. I am so grateful he is still here with us.

The next day we went to the heart doctor and also to see the nurses in the ICU. They were so surprised to see Patrick walking and talking they were just amazed it was a wonderful day.
His heart is doing great, the doctor showed us the whole surgery of putting the stent in. Wow, that was amazing. He didn't have much to say except that Patrick could  eat whatever he wanted and he would be fine for the next 10 years, Patrick was like, that it, that's all I get.

Where Patrick was at, at this point of his recovery

Patrick still had Occupational, Speech and Physical Therapy daily. He was relearning objects, re-learning everything. Even sayings, here are a few of our favorites.
"Rock them around" was meaning to stir something
"Whoopsy Woo" Remembers saying from child hood.
"Officers" what he called his therapist
"My Girls" His sisters
"Fine" When every you asked how he was or if he liked something
"So not Agreeable" Meaning Not acceptable
"Busted" If you yawned and got caught, it was time to take nap
"Rats" When he did something wrong he would say Rats and swing his arm, too funny.

Other things he would do.
He had a specific seat at the table, he never did before now. Patrick gets really upset and does to this day if someone else sit in his seat. He was able to write and spell but not read yet. He was starting to remember things like the day of the week, his birthday and where we live. He recognizes names and voices, but not faces or anything visually.
He was struggling with being a dad and the whole discipline thing. It was extremely hard. He called himself stupid and thought our kids were spoiled. I am not allowed to swear at all anymore, if you only knew how Patrick's mouth was before the heart attack.

Costco and the store were out of the question. Patrick would beg me to go to the store, we did a few times and now he would rather not go. Do you know how stimulating a store is, holy cow, now I get over stimulated. Still no TV or visitors.

He would look around the house, look in the garage at his motorcycles. He would check everything out, trying to figure it all out. It was like watching a baby learn new things. Today he still asks questions on what things are or how they work. We are so grateful that he can relearn things and retain it.

Thank you for letting me share our journey.

Kollette 

Next post, Christmas and New Years.

No comments:

Post a Comment