Weekly Essential

Thursday, August 6, 2015

First Thanksgiving

 It was so nice to be home and out of the hospital. Thanksgiving was approaching and so was the visit from Patrick’s two older sisters. Patrick has 4 siblings, His oldest sister died in 2012 from a Massive Heart Attack at age 48. Then he has two other sisters, Kathleen and Pam, and his brother Duane.
Patrick’s parents do not fly and Duane was unable to come out due to work. It was hard going through all of this without his family being close.

His sisters arrived, it was so good to see them and Patrick was so happy. We were all happy to see each other. They came with gifts for the kids and love for their brother.

We were still on low stimulation lock down, no TV,  doing dishes or laundry or vacuuming. No anything that made noise.

When Patrick would go outside, he would ask me, “What is that noise?” I would ask him, what noise? That noise, you mean the dog barking.  Oh my goodness, the dog barking from across the neighborhood. I didn’t even notice it. He could hear everything and it was all new to him. It was very difficult to explain this to his sisters and have them be extra quiet.


The first 24 hours all they did was argue, as sisters do. I had to lay down the rules and I told them both to knock it off or I would take them back to the airport and they could go home. I had enough going on and didn’t need them fighting.

I felt bad, they didn’t know what to do to help and I had no idea which direction to go. I had been in the hospital with Patrick for two months, I have not been around my children, I didn’t know what to expect with Patrick. I didn't know what to expect from my children, but it all worked out just fine.

It was hard and I felt so bad for Patrick and how he must have felt. It was like having an adult infant around that could talk but not really communicate what he wanted at that point. Patrick didn’t know what things were, for example knife, fork, spoon, clouds, table, chair, bed, etc. Visually he didn’t know what things were and he is still learning today.  He remembers voices and that he loves us, our home is familiar and comfortable.

The good thing is that he is able to relearn everything and create new memories, and remember. He does not remember things visually to this day. But he remembers sounds and emotions. For example, he remembered that he loved us, he remembers the sounds of tools and how to use them, but visually he does not remember building our house or being a General Contractor or any of his clients, projects, getting married, having kids, but we are so grateful he remembers he loves us and our voices. He remembers music, he is amazing. As for his personality, it is there for sure. He tells me all the time he will be back. I tell him, you are right here. 

Patrick was able to write and spell, but he was not able to read at this time. We still had to work on his routine and bathroom items. I would have to watch him every minute the first few months he was home. He would get things confused like toothpaste and soap. He had such a great attitude and he has learned so much and he worked really hard. I can't even imagine, but he keeps fighting hard to get better. 


Thanksgiving Feast – Patrick’s first Thanksgiving
I was not going to do anything for Thanksgiving, but then realized that Patrick didn’t remember the holidays’ or Thanksgiving. This was his first one, so we went all out.
What a wonderful day. Kathy and I went to the store, fed the kids and Pam, mom and Patrick lunch and then we started cooking the Thanksgiving Feast. We had so much fun, Kathy and I cooked all day, everything turned out perfect. Patrick said it was the most wonderful meal he has ever had.
Saturday after Thanksgiving – Patrick seems to be remembering more today, he had a high school memory come back. He remembers emotions and he knows what irritates him. I am getting really good at reading him and knowing when he has had enough. He is like a child and pushes himself, until he is so tired and agitated. He needs his rest so his brain can heal. 

We had speech therapy the next day for Patrick and his therapist said that his speech was a lot better.
We had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

I asked Patrick a few days later if he wanted anything from the store that he had eaten. He didn't know what it was called. I asked him to describe it to me. He sad it was white and creamy. Whipped cream? He said yes, yum. We make it home made. 

Coming up a Journal Entry, Christmas, Birthday and New Year!


Kollette Chambers

No comments:

Post a Comment